Karl M. Kapp,
Professor of Instructional Technology
Ed.D., Instructional Design and Technology
University of Pittsburgh
M.Ed., Instructional Design and Technology
University of Pittsburgh
Karl’s areas of expertise is in the area of games and gamification. He is a prolific author of a number of books including Winning E-Learning Proposals: the Art of Development and Delivery , Gadgets, Games and Gizmos for Learning and Learning in 3D: A New Dimension to Enterprise Learning and Collaboration, The Gamification of Learning and Instruction and the accompanying fieldbook, The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Theory into Practice.
Courses: 57.575 Managing Multimedia Projects
57.556 Applying Theories of Learning for Interactive Technologies
57.585 E-Learning Concepts and Techniques
57.591 Learning in 3D
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction Fieldbook: Ideas into Practice (November 2013) Wiley
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education (2012) Pfeiffer.
- Learning in 3D: Adding a New Dimension to Enterprise Learning and Collaboration. (January 2010). Pfeiffer.
- Gadgets, Games and Gizmos for Learning. By Karl M. Kapp, Ed.D. (April 2007). Pfeiffer.
- Winning E-Learning Proposals : The Art of Development and Delivery. By Karl M. Kapp, Ed.D. (May, 2003) J. Ross Publishing, Inc.
- Integrated Learning for ERP Success:A Learning Requirements Planning Approach.Kapp, K. M. with Latham, W. F., & Ford-Latham, H. N. (2001) New York, St. Lucie Press. p. 334.
Select Web Articles:
- Kapp, K. M. Games, Gamification and Quest for Learner Engagement.. ASTD T&D Magazine.
- Defelice, R. & Kapp, K. M. Time to Develop One Hour of Training. ASTD Learning Circuits.
- Kapp, K. M. Gamification of Retail Safety and Loss Prevention Training. Learning Solutions Magazine.
- Kapp, K. M. The Gamification of Salesforce Training. Learning Solutions Magazine.
- Kapp, K. M. Once again games can and do teach!. Learning Solutions Magazine.
- Kapp, K. M. Can a Video Game Make Someone Nice? The Positive Impact of Pro-social Games. eLearn Magazine.
Karl speaks at ASTD conferences, eLearning Guild Conferences, ISPI, Training Magazine and many other conferences on a frequent basis.
Karl has spoken to dozens of corporations related to online learning, games and gamification. He frequently provides consulting services and workshops to provide information to companies looking for innovations within the learning space.
- Named a “Rock Star” of eLearning by eLearn Magazine.
- 2008 Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching, Learning, and Technology.
- 2007 Top 20 Most Influential Training Professionals, Training Industry Inc.
- Winner of “Dean’s Salute for Excellence” Award, Fall 2000
- APICS~Educational Society for Resource Management
- ASTD-American Society of Training and Development
- ISPI-International Society for Performance Improvement