Mobile with a twist
Helmut Doll – November 12, 2010
Department of Instructional Technology
This is a summary of the links from the presentation at the Corporate Advisory Council meeting.
- First, a few interesting new items I want to share with you.
- The Web Is Dead. Long Live the Internet | Magazine – Wired Magazine – September 2010
Article started healthy discussion on the web.
- The future seems to be the content, the data, not web pages in the original sense.
- Browsers will become less important.
- Adobe Flash Catalyst
- Photoshop/Fireworks -> Interactive Flash movie
- Convert drawing objects to interactive objects
- No coding required
- Adobe Edge
- a tool for creating animation and transitions using the capabilities of HTML5
- Not released yet
- Sencha Animator
- Project Rome
- Create publications and interactive applications without coding. Online or as desktop (air) app
- Now to mobile
- Why mobile?
- More than 70% of the world population will be mobile subscribers in 2010 (not sure, if this is correct use of stats, but the general direction is correct)
- There are more than 150 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices. People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice more active on Facebook than non-mobile users.” – Facebook official statistics (August, 2010).
- Nielsen 10/14/10, http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/u-s-teen-mobile-report-calling-yesterday-texting-today-using-apps-tomorrow/ – Use of data and apps is increasing among teens (change from sms and voice use)
- Funny cartoon about the users of the different mobile OS – http://www.csectioncomics.com/2010/11/iphone-vs-android-vs-blackberry.html
- Mobile Development
- Nokia: Qt
- Android: Java
- Apple: Object C
- Samsung: bada
- Info-graphic about mobile development http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2010/11/the-mobile-developer-journey-from-app-design-to-monetization-infographic.php
- Separate mobile app stores
- Mobile development silos (for native development)
- Flash and mobile
- Flash Lite
- Flash 10.1 player
- Flash iPhone packager
- Flash Air apps
- jqTouch sample
- Other interesting mobile development tools:
- Google Breadcrumb – (thanks Louis!)
- Web application to create branching storylines for mobile
- Low technology demands
- Create using text with 3 ‘markup’ codes
- Example – http://breadcrumb.googleusercontent.com/view?id=ag5nbGFiczIwLXBhdmxvdnINCxIFU3RvcnkYhZohDA
- Other tools and resources